Pharmacy Services Questions and Answers
Lake Family Medicine & Imaging offers pharmacy services to fulfill patients’ needs for medicine and other health facilities. For more information, call us or book an appointment online. We serve patients from Sanford, FL, and surrounding areas.
Table Of Contents:
A pharmacist is responsible for dispensing prescription medicines to patients and for offering advice for their safe use. They may also carry out health and wellness screenings, administer vaccinations, monitor patient medication, and provide advice on healthy lifestyles.
Pharmacists have extensive knowledge of the purposes, effects, and side effects of various drugs and can tell from looking at a patient’s profile whether or not new medications can be safely combined with existing ones. Prescription medications have the potential to considerably improve a person’s health and quality of life, but they must be taken correctly, with the proper frequency and dosage.
Pharmacists work in different environments such as community pharmacies, outpatient clinics, compounding pharmacies, hospitals, emergency departments, and long-term care facilities, among others.
The primary role of a pharmacist is to fill prescriptions safely and accurately. Once they’ve received the prescription, the pharmacy staff will first verify or update the patient’s profile to help ensure that the correct patient receives the correct medication at the correct dose. The prescription will be checked again by the pharmacist once filled and prior to release to the patient. In addition to this primary function, pharmacies offer:
– Drug reviews one of the pharmacist’s jobs is to manage and evaluate the appropriateness of a patient’s treatment, including prescription drugs and over-the-counter (OTC) medications. Common issues investigated are appropriate prescription medication dosage, drug interactions, duplications, or adverse reactions. This review is helpful in providing feedback on therapy efficacy and outcomes for all areas of healthcare.
– Immunizations pharmacists are permitted to administer vaccinations in all 50 U.S. states, and they play a significant role in the uptake of vaccines due to their convenient business hours, locations and lower costs. This area of healthcare is highly regulated, however – with certain regulations varying between states – the pharmacist is responsible for screening their patients to determine if they need, or should receive, a vaccination.
Onsite pharmacy services give patients the ability to have their prescriptions filled straight away without having to go to a separate facility. It also provides an opportunity for the doctor to explain why they are prescribing the medication and what the patient can expect while taking it. It can give the patient a chance to raise any questions or concerns they may have with either the pharmacist or doctor before they leave the premises. This can often lead to a better understanding of the medication, why they need to take it as prescribed and what may happen if they don’t take it, which in turn can lead to better compliance and an improved overall outlook. Having a pharmacy on-site means that it is easier for the doctor to monitor this medication compliance and address any issues around the improper, or lack of, use of the medication.
Onsite pharmacies hold certain medications tailored to the specialty of the practice. Here at Lake Family Medicine & Imaging, we carry the most commonly prescribed medications, including:
– Statins (for cholesterol)
– ACE inhibitors (for blood pressure)
– Calcium-channel blockers (for blood pressure)
– Proton pump inhibitors (for reflux)
– Short-acting beta-agonists (for asthma)
– Synthetic thyroid hormones
– Insulin (for diabetes)
– Biguanides (for diabetics)
– Corticosteroids (for inflammation)
We don’t keep any controlled substances on the premises, however. Our doctor is able to prescribe certain medications such as phentermine (for weight loss), narcotics, and amphetamines (for ADHD) but they will have to be filled at another pharmacy.
If you would like to know more about our onsite pharmacy services, contact Lake Family Medicine & Imaging today! We serve patients from Sanford FL, Heathrow FL, Lake Mary FL, Midway FL, Longwood FL, Lake Monroe FL, and surrounding areas. We look forward to meeting you!