When you have a medical problem that requires attention within a 24-hour period but isn’t a life-threatening emergency, you don’t need an emergency room. A primary care office with walk-in visits and lab services, or an urgent care center, is generally the best place to start.
At the office of Lake Family Medicine & Imaging in Sanford, Florida, general practitioner Dr. Raj Kandavanam and his staff offer outstanding primary care as well as a walk-in option for patients who need fast assistance. And because our office also has on-site imaging, laboratory, and pharmacy services, we can handle a wide range of complaints with ease.
Why an All-in-One Practice?
Lake Family Medicine & Imaging was initially founded on the idea of having on-site services to assist a general medicine practice. By offering one-stop shopping, you save both time and money. Some benefits include:
- No need to make extra appointments
- No time spent running between offices
- Blood draws and X-rays are available during the appointment
- A doctor can order additional tests while you’re there
- The doctor receives test results quickly
- You can pick up your medication before you leave
- A doctor can easily monitor prescriptions
What Conditions Can a Walk-in Visit Treat?
Walk-in appointments are for people with mild-to-serious medical conditions that aren’t life-threatening. These include:
- Sore throat and fever
- Ear and sinus infections
- Upper respiratory infections
- Pneumonia or the flu
- Nausea, diarrhea, or vomiting
- Bacterial or viral conjunctivitis (pink eye)
- Strains, sprains, and fractures
- Cuts, wounds, and burns
- Mild concussions
- Migraines or other persistent headaches
- Allergic reactions such as itching or a rash
- Asthma attacks
Other benefits of a walk-in visit include:
- Costs less to see Dr. Kandavanam than to see an ER physician; especially important for lower-income patients or those with no insurance
- Spend less time waiting to be seen and treated than in an ER
On the other hand, if you have a more serious injury or illness, you need to go for emergency care. Such situations include:
- Heart attacks/chest pain
- Stroke/sudden paralysis
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of consciousness
- Unstoppable bleeding
- Head injuries, especially with the loss of consciousness
- Third-degree burns
- Mental health emergencies
- Major trauma, such as car accidents and gunshot wounds
What Types of Tests Can a Walk-in Visit Provide?
Because we handle a wide variety of conditions for a walk-in visit, as well as being a general medical practice, we have an array of diagnostic services available, including:
- On-site X-rays
- On-site laboratory facilities
- Allergy testing
- Rapid flu and strep throat testing
- COVID-19 testing
- Medication prescriptions and refills
- Wound care
- Casts, braces, and slings
- Chronic disease screenings
- STD screenings
Our primary care services are also available to diagnose illnesses, treat chronic conditions, and offer routine vaccinations. In addition, we offer a comprehensive range of physical exams, including annual wellness checks and specialized sports, school, and flight physicals.
If you have a non-life-threatening but urgent injury or illness, drop by the Lake Family Medicine & Imaging office for a walk-in appointment. You can also schedule a same-day appointment by calling 407-232-7655 or by contacting us online.